10 Aug Signs of Danger: Symptoms of Covid 19 in Kids
The current epidemic has caused widespread panic. For parents, nothing is more important than keeping their kids safe. That’s why knowing the symptoms of Covid 19 in kids is critical. Knowing what to look for means being more prepared. These signs of danger will allow you to act right away and prevent the worst from happening.
Covid 19 Symptoms to Watch Out For
Aside from the elderly, children are the most at risk when they catch the Covid 19 virus. There are even symptoms that only appear on kids.
Looking out for those will be essential to make sure that your child is free of Covid 19. A shortlist of these symptoms of Covid 19 in kids include:
- Persistent fever – Your child’s temperature is high more than three days to a week.
- Stomach pain – Your child complains of cramps in his stomach and is unable to keep food down.
- Rash outbreak – Rashes and itchiness start appearing in some parts of your child’s body.
- Cracked, inflamed lips – Your child’s lips appear swollen, dry, and the skin is peeling.
- Red, swollen eyes – The eyes and surrounding skin are puffy. Your child is also complaining of sensitivity to light.
- Swollen feet and hands – Hands, wrist, feet, and ankles are bigger than usual.
- Paint in the joints – Major joints in the wrist, elbow, knees, and shoulders are hurting.
- Dizzy spell – Your child becomes wobbly when walking or standing.
- Problems with eyesight – Your child has blurry vision.
- Sporadic headaches – Migraines or bouts of pain from the eyes to the back of the head.
- Paleness – Your child presents an unhealthy color.
Those are just the most common signs of infection from the dreaded illness in children. They accompany the general symptoms that include:
- Coughing – Wet, uncontrollable coughs.
- Sore, irritable throats – Pain when swallowing and redness at the back of the throat.
- Shortness of breath – Difficulty taking in air and pain in the chest.
- Chills and shaking – Uncontrollable muscle spasms and feeling cold despite the warmth of the room.
- Sore muscles – Sensitivity to touch and aches all over the body.
- Losing the sense of taste and smell – Unable to detect scents or flavors of food.
If those symptoms come up, this does not automatically mean that your child has Covid 19. Even so, it’s best to have him checked just to be safe.
Fortunately, the number of Covid 19 cases involving children is low overall. As long as you keep an eye on your child, there should be no reason for alarm.
What to Do When Your Child Presents Symptoms
When your child presents some of the symptoms listed above, the first thing to do is to not panic. The next is to follow the steps below:
1.Re-check and identify the symptoms
Take your child’s temperature again, check or rashes, and ask questions. Find out if your child can still smell or taste things, as well as if he has muscle pain. Compare your findings with the list of symptoms above.
Doing this will make sure that you are not missing any other symptoms. It will also make sure that you are actually seeing symptoms or if you made a mistake.
2. List the symptoms and the relevant data
Write down things like your child’s temperature, how frequent or wet his cough is, or whether not his joints hurt. You should also list down if he has a rash and in which parts of the body. The more data you can gather and the more accurate, the better. You can then store the information in your computer or on something like Google Doc.
3. Contact a medical professional
Once you have all of the data you could gather, it’s time to consult a professional. However, before going to a clinic or the emergency room, you might want to call or contact a doctor first. Provide the details you managed to list down. If possible, send photos that you took if there is physical evidence to show. Your next step will depend on what the doctor says. However, it will likely be one of two scenarios:
- If the doctor determines that your child is a likely candidate for a Covid 19 case, you will be asked to visit your local emergency room immediately. Your immediate household might be asked to go, as well. This is because of the high chance that everyone in the house has been exposed.From there, you just need to follow the instructions given.
- If the doctor says that the symptoms do not necessarily mean that your child has the virus, you will be asked to observe him. This will likely involve regular temperature checks and watching out for any new symptoms that might pop up. If the symptoms go away after a few days, your child is likely not infected. If the symptoms persist, call the doctor again and go to the emergency room.Those are the steps you can take if you suspect that your child might have Covid 19 after showing worrying symptoms.
How to Keep Your Kids Covid-Free
The most important thing you can do to make sure that your child remains safe from Covid 19 is to follow quarantine rules. This means no going out unless necessary and maintaining a safe distance from others.
You should also limit your family’s exposure to others while staying at home. This means not having guests over if possible and not going over to your neighbors.
This might make your child bored, but it’s a great chance for more productive activities.
If you went out, you will also need to take precautions by wearing the right protective gear. This is especially important when traveling via public transport.
When you get home, you need to disinfect right away. Your hands, clothes, and shoes should be sprayed or wiped to kill microorganisms. After that, you need to take a bath before interacting with your child. These precautions might be inconvenient, but they are necessary.
Keeping Kids Entertained During Lockdown
Another way to make sure that your child remains Covid-free is to keep him at home. This means giving him plenty of entertainment since too much boredom can make kids rash.
You can try ordering some toys like Kinetic Sand online so that he can have fun in a creative way.
You could also get him fun apps like the Google Grasshopper, which teaches kids how to code.
If you would rather give your child some educational fun times, there are books like Ayden The Astronaut that you can check out. He can learn about his world and its many interesting animals in one exciting adventure.
With Covid 19 being such a huge threat, every little thing you can do to keep your child safe matters. This includes everything from keeping track of his health to keeping him entertained during the lockdown.